Monday 9 December 2013

The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey 3D/2D Blu Ray SteelBook Extended Edition

'Think Furnace With Wings,Flash Of Light, Searing Pain Then Poof, Your Nothing More Than A Pile Of Ash'

 Fig 1. The Artwork On The Front Is Beautiful
Fig 2. As Is The Back.. Very Nice To See.. 
 
'Oh My God' was the first thing I thought when I saw this movie, its not just another Hobbit adventure. Its THE Bilbo adventure. Every movie has to start somewhere and for me this was the perfect beginning. (To be honest I really didn't have very high expectations for this movie, don't get me wrong I loved the 1st instalment of LOTR but when it came round to the 3rd I was a little confused and numb, because I wanted to know how it ALL started.. But didn't want to wait)
 
But Now we have a great story line, a Hobbit that is up for any adventure, until he realises he's in a little to deep for his own good. What with a journey to a Mountain with a Crazy and outlandish gang of Dwarves to reclaim treasures stolen for years from them by the dragon Smaug. The amount of detail put in to visual effects and amazing landscapes took my breath away. With swooshing swords, Bricks and boulders flying everywhere and collapsing bridges and towers, goblins and chase scenes.. I for one was very, very impressed.
  Storytelling and Visual expression is bursting at the seams with cutting-edge effects, incredible motion captured creatures and, of course, Gollum.

Fig 3. The Inside Holds 5 Nicely Artworked Discs.. 
 
 
VIDEO*****
Presented at 2.40:1 in brilliant 1080p
When I first watched this I don't think I had seen a picture so sharp and clean in all my Home Cinema
viewing. I've seen beautiful colour and fine detail but this has been taken to another level, Now I presume its down to the fantastic 4K cameras used. It's just like The Amazing Spiderman, but cleaner as there is a lot of daylight shots. The 2D Extended Disc/Movie set includes three BD50 discs, one used for the 183-minute feature film itself.
Contrast is amazing and spot on as are the black levels. The caves are dark but every amount of detail just pops off the screen. I dare anyone to find a flaw in this. Edge definition is crisp and clean, without any significant ringing or the dreaded Halo Effect.
I can say the 3D version is a little dark but that's not the film it is the Active glasses, but as I watched it in 3D to still notice the amount of detail I did is a triumph to the transfer and the cinematography.
All in its got to be 5/5 from me.. Hobbit as a Hobbit Does..

Fig 4. The Inside Holds 5 Nicely Artworked Discs..
 
 
 
 
 
 
AUDIO*****
DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO 7.1 English, French Dolby Digital 5.1, Italian Dolby Digital 5.1, Japanese Dolby Digital 5.1 And Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1.
The Bass kicks in all the major scenes and that for a Home Cinema enthusiast is not the only top priority but there's also a superb amount of Treble and Midrange to make sure swords clang and voices sound crisp and clean. The chaos of an underground Goblin Town and the middle of a cave where a certain magic ring sits sounds totally immersive and that for me puts a massive smile on my face knowing the complete system WILL get a work out.. Not only that but Howard Shore's score is sweeping and full.
For ME I have to give it a full 5/5 just because sound is just as important as picture quality.
 
 
 
EXTRAS*****
As this is a 5 Disc set and you have two, Yes two discs dedicated to extras there are far far to many for me to list. But for the price you pay its worth it just for the extras..
but here are just a few..
 
AUDIO COMMENTARY
With Peter Jackson And Philippa Boyens.
NEW ZEALAND - FROM HOME TO MIDDLE EARTH
Peter Jackson and his Crew visit the lush and stunning New Zealand
countryside, revealing the locations used to bring The Hobbit's Middle-Earth to life
THE APPENDICES PART 7 - A LONG EXPECTED JOURNEY
Introduction by Peter Jackson
The Journey Back to Middle-Earth
Riddles in the Dark
An Unexpected Party
Roast Mutton
Bastion of the Greenwood
A Short Rest
Over Hill
Under Hill
Out of the Frying Pan
Return to Hobbiton
The Epic of Scene 88
The Battle of Moria
Edge of the Wilderland
Home is Behind, the World Ahead
THE APPENDICES PART 8 - RETURN TO MIDDLE EARTH
The Company of Thorin
Mr. Baggins: The 14th Member
Durin's Folk: Creating the Dwarves
The People and Denizens of Middle-Earth
Realms of the Third Age: From Bag End to Goblin Town
The Songs of The Hobbit
 
Phew ALL done..I would pay the money just for the extras alone ALL in HD and most of theem running well over 45 minutes.. It's a super insight into the magical world of Jackson and Tolkien.
 
If you don't own this or just fancy watching in 3D and love extras the grab yourself a copy from ZAVVI and enjoy every minute of it..
 
 
 
Let Me Know What You Think. Do You Own It?... If Not Are You Going To Get It
Leave Me A Comment Below
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment